Dr. Shikhman wanted to create a non-profit and Infection and Autoimmunity Research and Educational Foundation (IAREF) is the realization of that dream.
One of the pillars of IAREF is to educate others, especially medical professionals, on areas of chronic infection and autoimmune disease allowing for a sharing of knowledge to better patient outcomes.
In the month of April IAREF held its first virtual educational event covering Bartonella.
Bartonella species can cause a persistent, intravascular blood infection, infecting red blood cells and the cells that line the blood vessels.
Bartonella may be transmitted by contact with flea and louse feces, ticks or biting flies, or by the scratch or bite of an infected animal, most often a flea-infested cat.
If left untreated, it can become a chronic condition causing a myriad of problems including neurologic, rheumatologic, cardiac, and vasoproliferative.
Dr. Shikhman rounded up some of the world’s foremost experts on Bartonella to give presentations covering:
- Clinical signs and symptoms
- Diverse manifestations and persistence
- Rheumatological manifestations
- Laboratory diagnosis: current practices, challenges, and advancements
- Principles of treatment and goals of therapy
- Dr. Alexander Shikhman, Rheumatologist, MD PhD (Institute for Specialized Medicine)
- Dr. Ed Breitschwerdt, DVM (North Carolina State University, Galaxy Diagnostics)
- Dr. Jennifer Miller, PhD (Galaxy Diagnostics)
- Dr. Monica Embers, PhD (Tulane University)
- Neenah Grade, PA-C (Institute for Specialized Medicine)
We spread the word and had over 70 registrations! For our first event, we were very pleased with the interest in this topic. Bartonella is a chronic infection that is often overlooked, but as medical professionals are becoming more aware of it, they are definitely eager to learn more about ways to identify and treat.
Based on participant feedback, the content was well received:
This seminar has BLOWN MY MIND….incredible. I am in awe that you can treat these difficult patients without the massive dosing I have been trained to do.
His whole approach to these infections….and his ability to help some of these autoimmune diseases with his approach is unique and new to me and his results are far superior to mine
The conference was so helpful and so well done. I learned more about Bartonella from this conference than I have learned in the previous ten years. Bravo.